As I said in my previous post, I don’t own many rayon or crepe fabrics. And when I do, I certainly don’t have enough to make a dress! Following Casey’s suggestion last week, I decided to use 2 different fabrics for the bodice and the belt+skirt:
The fabric on the left is some navy poly fabric that has some sort of very fine ribbing. Not too thick, and just enough body and drape to hold its shape when made into the belt and the skirt. I’m not planning on making the ties. On the right, is a rayon (and poly?) fabric in navy with polka dots in an irregular pattern. With some red accents in accessories, I think the result will be smashing! The solid navy fabric has some stretch, so it will be comfortable to wear to work. On the other hand, the rayon fabric doesn’t have any stretch at all, and that worries me. I usually don’t wear clothes that don’t have any stretch, especially at the shoulders and sleeves. But I’m confident that by altering the pattern using my block, it should be ok. The block is built for wovens, we’ve tested it with a non-stretch fabric and it was actually quite comfortable, believe it or not. (By the way, I haven’t discussed the Swing Dress pattern with my drafting teacher this week as planned, instead we worked on 2 other patterns. They will be discussed in another post ;-))
According to the sew-along schedule, I should be preparing for the muslin the coming week. This should be interesting!