I diverted a bit from my sewing plan (don’t I always?) to work on a dress pattern I was dying to try, Butterick 5315. It’s a modern pattern, with a vintage feel. And OMG, I just love the result!
The skirt is so full, so twirly! On the pictures, my Diana is sporting the dress with a petticoat for an extra “poof” effect. The belt is a purchased elasticized belt I bought last winter. My fabric is 100% cotton with an old skool tattoos print. I didn’t make a real effort to match the lines of the print, but it turned out very good nonetheless, except at the back (more below). I made View B with no major changes, except grading up to size 28, which gave me plenty of ease. It fits perfectly. I made one small alteration to the pattern by adding about 4 cm of length at the hem, so I could cut off the excess at the front if necessary to make sure the skirt hangs straight (to compensate the roundness of my derriere). In the end, it wasn’t even necessary to cut off that excess, the skirt was indeed hanging straight all around! And I actually liked the length as it was, so I just made a quick narrow hem. Note to self if I make that pattern again: add 4 cm at the length!
I fiddled a bit with the front, but I really like how it turned out. Close up of the buttoned front with peter pan collar:
The sleeves have elastic inserted in a casing made using bias tape. I really like the feel of the satin bias tape on the skin, much more comfortable than sewing the elastic directly to the sleeve!
And here’s a full view of the back:
The back has a yoke (which is faced – very neat from the inside!) and a pleat. I had a bit of trouble with matching the lines on the yoke and the lower back piece, as you can see on the left of this picture:
The back pleat was messing up the matching every time, so I gave up. I just hope people will look at me from the front and not the back 😉
I am in love with this shirt dress and I know I will enjoy wearing it the coming months!