Red Dress Contest – first muslin

Last weekend, I worked on my muslin for the Red Dress contest. First I searched for a pattern, but in the end I decided to draft my own. I made a sketch for inspiration. My take on the whole ‘heart’ theme is quite litteral, but that’s just who I am. I’m not yet sure what I’m going to do for the back vent. But at least it’s something to get me started!

I drafted my pattern using my block, and made a first muslin. It ain’t perfect, I need to lengthen the bodice of at least 5 cm at the front and 2 cm at the back, and re-think my tulip sleeves. But all in all, I’m quite pleased with the result. The heart sits nicely on my back, no bra showing (I was afraid of that). Same for the heart-shaped neckline, no peeking bra straps and it is very flattering. Here are some views of my muslin:

  

Next steps for the coming days: make noted corrections and experiment with the back vent.

Comments

  1. Gorgeous – looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

  2. How are you going to finish your heart cut out? Or are you going to leave it raw? It is an adorable dress! I can’t wait to see it!
    sewingforme.wordpress.com

    • The dress will be lined🙂 Sew the lining and back pieces right sides together, trim, pull the lining to the inside🙂 It’s a bit of a puzzle, but I’ll post pictures of how I did it… when I’ll be doing it hahaha I’m starting this morning and hopefully it will be complete tomorrow!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: