Thanks everyone for the lovely comments on my Mad Men dress!
A while ago, I posted a couple of pictures for inspiration. Evening gowns, large ball gowns, ruffles, flowers, lace, draping. At the time, I wasn’t quite ready to talk about my project, but now is the time, finally!
Months ago, a friend who is studying Photography, approached me for one of her assignments. She needed large ball gowns or elegant evening dresses for a photo shoot. I was free to choose the theme and the designs. As this shoot was going to be a great way to advertise my services and show off my skills, it was an offer I couldn’t refuse, even though I knew it was going to be quite a challenge! One evening dress, sure, but three? Possibly four? Oh my!
It took me months to pick a theme (I went from medieval princesses to futuristic brides) but I eventually settled for Spring Flowers. Because if there’s something that I LOVE about the Netherlands, it’s the flowers popping up in the fields come spring time, like patches of bright colors on a green canvas. I have three gowns, each with a flower name: hyacinth, tulip and daffodil. I might throw in a daisy or a lily of the valley in the mix if I need a 4th gown, but as I’m not sure yet, I prefer to concentrate on these three for now.
Yesterday, I made a start on the hyacinth dress. Here is the sketch I made as inspiration:
To make the dress, I used Simplicity 2213. The bodice is different from my sketch, but that’s not something that bothered me: I actually like the pattern bodice, with a nice deep v-neck and a mermaid skirt. I didn’t use the ruffle, I prefered my make my own flowers and attach them to the bodice. To make the flowers, I’m using the templates available on the great Organza Flower tutorial available on Sew4Home.
The dress is not finished yet, I need to set the zipper and unfortunately for me, I thought I had a matching zipper in my stash, but I don’t. So I’ll have to go to the shops next weekend to buy one and finish my dress. So here are some really sneak peek pictures, the flowers and train are just pinned on the dress form:
I shall keep you hanging until the dress is complete and obviously, I will share the pictures of the photo shoot when they are ready!
Next up: the tulip! I need to draft the skirt pattern in such a way that it mimics the shape of tulip petals. I am using Simplicity 1910 as a starting point. I will report back on my progress next weekend. Stay tuned 😉