In my last post, I said I was planning to sew a small capsule wardrobe to get me started for the autumn/winter season, since I had absolutely nothing appropriate that fits. I’m going to say immediately that I did not sew this capsule wardrobe after all… let’s say I enjoyed shopping a bit too much when I was on vacation. Smaller size = more shopping possibilities. I was like a kid in a candy store. BUY ALL THE THINGS!
In the past, I made my own clothes because I couldn’t find clothes in styles I like, in plus sizes. And it was rather time-consuming. Now, I can find clothes in styles I like, instantly. So, why sew? For fun. As a distraction. Just because I enjoy it. I guess my main reason for sewing as a hobby has shifted: Exit purely functional sewing, hello fun and unique wardrobe additions!
Due to special circumstances (I had gall bladder removal surgery last week), I’ve been forced to stay home and not allowed to exercise at all. I found some wool and picked up my knitting needles again, but my fingers were quickly longing for something else: sewing!
For my first project, I picked the Watson jacket from Papercut Patterns. Winter is coming, I can use a jacket that is not only warm, but also really cute. I guess I still have the ‘functional sewing’ reflex in me ;)
And here’s my version:
Not bad for a first project in such a long time, if I say so myself. It was a lot of pieces to cut and assemble, from the main jacket to the lining and the contrast fabric, but all in all it wasn’t a difficult jacket and I completed it in about 1 1/2 day (including cutting). I hesitated a long time when it came to picking a size. I took my measurements, compared them to the standard measurements, found out I was in-between sizes… *sigh* In the end I went for the smaller size (M) instead of the bigger size (L), and quite frankly, it’s waaay big enough. Anecdote: when I first fell in love with this pattern, my measurements at the time would have been something like an XXXL. That would have meant a lot of adjustments, and a final product looking awkward. I remember looking at the body measurements of the biggest size, L, and thinking there’s just no way I’d ever be that small. Ahem. I had to pinch myself when I was cutting the size M, just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming it all…
I used nice wool I bought several years ago off eBay, very nice to work with. However it’s a bit heavy, so the finished jacket has quite some weight to it.
I used metal buttons from my stash, I thought it would give it a slight ‘military’ feel:
I lined the jacket with padded lining for extra warmth:
The pattern called for lining fabric for the capelet’s under layer, but I prefered to use something else because of the thickness of my lining. I found a nice woven that has been in my stash forever:
I liked the hem facing, it helps the hem keep its shape (rounded) and it just looks very neat:
And here’s the back view:
After I finished, I had this warm fuzzy feeling of pride inside… ahhh I finally made something! And it looks great! And it fits! And I missed my sewing machine so much!
I completed quite a few other projects over the past few days, but I’m going to keep them for separate posts ;)