Eighth Doctor costume – Part II

Here is the second post detailing my Eighth Doctor cosplay project!

The Vest

The original vest seemed to have a shawl collar and single-breasted front closure. My first intention was to use Simplicity 2895‘s view A, but several weeks after ordering the pattern, it still wasn’t in my mailbox and time was running out. I looked for another solution and found Laughing Moon 109, which I ultimately also used for the frock coat. This pattern is absolutely fantastic — from its amazing historical accuracy to the huge amount of reference information about tailoring. I’ve learned a lot using this pattern!

Looking at the original vest, I believe View B of Laughing Moon is a better choice than Simplicity’s View A anyway, with the straight bottom (instead of being pointy).


close-up il_570xN.372780978_ic7c

Then came the issue of picking a fabric. I really, really wanted to use fabric from my stash, and this wasn’t an easy task: my current stash is a silent witness of my earlier sewing inclinations, which were about making comfy knit dresses or tops to accommodate my larger body at the time. (I have to admit that sadly, my patterns stash bears the resemblance to my fabric stash: it’s full of knit dresses, knit tops, wide and comfy knit clothes… nothing like my current inspirations!) And the few possible candidates were all in the wrong color schemes, like blue hues. One morning, I suddenly remembered some upholstery fabric I bought probably a decade ago, that I knew was stashed in a closet, under a pile of sports equipment. It didn’t have a flowery pattern like the original vest, it wasn’t brocade either (more like a soft velveteen/flocky fabric), but it fitted the color scheme and I’m a sucker for paisley (that’s probably why I bought it in the first place, just because of the paisley design!). Score! My only real concern was the glitters scattered around… Glitters? On a going-to-war outfit? Well, why not? I washed the fabric to see if the glitters would detach – nope, they held on tightly!

Making the vest was relatively easy. Due to the thickness of my fabric, I omitted the extra layer of chest padding (and as a woman, do I need chest padding?) but I still used interfacing to give the vest some body. I struggled a bit with the welt pockets, and realized eventually that I set them in wrongly, but it’s not really noticeable thanks to the busy pattern on the fabric. I liked that the pattern was asking for a back made of lining fabric instead of self fabric, as I was afraid the vest would end up being too stiff — not to mention too warm to wear comfortably.

I made size 36 despite my chest measurements being 37 inches, I thought 3 inches ease (instead of 4 inches) was enough, and I was right. There’s a tiny optional dart at the armhole, and it seemed enough for the vest to fit nicely over my womanly shape. Keep in mind: my dress form’s smallest measurements are actually too big for my current measurements, which explains the wonky fit on the pictures (the back pulls from all directions, for example).

Oh and there’s one accessory I forgot to mention in my previous post: my replica Eighth Doctor TARDIS key!

tardis_key

I got tipped from a follower on Tumblr regarding Mooncrest Models, a shop in the UK specializing in making replica props from Sci-Fi movies and TV shows. Their website seems taken directly from the 90’s, but believe me, they are extremely friendly and responsive. I had some trouble with ordering my key and they sorted it out immediately. And I received my key within 3 days! If you’re making your own Dalek costume or replica, and want to have an authentic sink plunger, take a look at their offering. Their work is top quality and the similarity to the original is amazing.

Up next: the frock coat! Stay tuned!😉

Comments

  1. I think your waistcoat fabric is much closer than mine. I just couldn’t find the right combination of colour and scale of paisley. And I chickened out with the shawl collar (Me and collars don’t get on…to miss quote a comedy show I tend to look like a bird who’s swallowed a dinner plate.lol!)
    The key is really cool. I tied making my own from polymer clay…not quite the same. I’m gonna try to find a uk supplier for laughing moon as I like quite a lot of their patterns.

    • mcfdekker says:

      I know habithat.co.uk sells the Laughing Moon patterns. Friendly customer service too🙂

      Oh I wouldn’t even try to make the key myself — I just don’t have the skills for that sort of things. So I just bought mine. It wasn’t really expensive either, even for shipping to the Netherlands!

Trackbacks

  1. […] a sleeve head was. And I had no idea what chest padding was, and why it was needed. As I said in my previous post, I ultimately left out the actual padding (with batting) from the waistcoat, but for the frock […]

  2. […] Doctor, my inspiration for my first ever cosplay. (I detailed how I made my costume in this post, this post, and this post.) The location was the London Film & Comic Con, my first ever comic con of epic […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: